Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Be Intentional About Buying Things

By Jessica Hoelzel

Most of us love a good bargain. Finding deals can be a wonderful way to live a frugal lifestyle. Where we can get into trouble, however, is buying just because it’s a deal.

Do I need this? Hmmm…no, but….

Is there someone I know who could use this? Maybe.

I’ll get it – it’s such a great deal!

I can’t pass this up.

Does this commentary sound familiar to you? Do you buy on impulse, or shop as a hobby – a challenge to find bargain prices? If you do, and your home is cluttered as a result, keep in mind these questions:

Do I love it?
Will I love it tomorrow, next week, in 6 months or a year?
What do I intend to do with it?
Where will I put/store it?
Can I afford it?
Is it a good investment?

Taking the time to stop and think about what your intentions are before you buy can bring you clarity on what you really want in your life. Don’t waste your energy on things that you don’t love, need or have the space for.

No comments: