Wednesday, November 16, 2011

21 Quick Clutter Fixes For Your Home

By Jessica Hoelzel

REDUCE the amount of STUFF you have and LIVE GREEN

Introducing a NEW blog series: 21 Quick Clutter Fixes. Keep your eye on Day to Day Feng Shui for 21 ways to lighten your load by cutting out clutter bit-by-bit throughout your home. Plus, solutions that keep the environment top-of-mind, so you keep your waste-impact down.

Less Clutter = Healthy Home

Less Waste = Healthy World


In the Living Area

8. Do SOMETHING with the photographs. A few days ago I wrote a post discussing ways to eliminate the clutter of too many or mismatched frames. That was regarding those photos that were lucky enough to get into a frame. We all have lots and lots of photos – whether they’re in one place or scattered in closets and cupboards throughout the house – that need “something” to be done with them.

The challenge is that maybe what we “think” needs to be done with them will take too much time. Time we don’t have, because organizing those photos is not a priority.

I’m here to say that anything undone in your space, even if it is hidden from view, still grabs for your attention. It’s all about energy. Subconsciously, you know you need to do something with those photos.

I recently took a few hours on a Saturday to get to my photos. I had “planned” to get them all in albums. Well I’m being realistic now, and I’m not going to take the time to do all that, for all photos. I got them to a place where I can relatively easily find what I might be looking for in the future. And now they’re going in photo boxes. Safe, sound and accessible.

There are so many different ways to organize photos these days, I can’t get to all of them here. But what I will recommend is that you do “something”. Something that works for you – your style and in your time parameters. Then schedule a time for it on your calendar and honor it.

From a living green angle, you’ll probably want to view and share photos electronically whenever possible. How many of us have stacks of prints that are no longer relevant to our lives? If it’s electronic, you can just delete the file when you look back and decide you DO NOT want to remember what freaky hairstyle you had in 1998, or how big that old boyfriend’s nose really was.

Favorite photo organizing resources:

Snapfish

Shutterfly

The Container Store

Michael’s

No comments: