Tuesday, October 25, 2011

21 Quick Clutter Fixes For Your Home


By Jessica Hoelzel

REDUCE the amount of STUFF you have and LIVE GREEN

I’m introducing a NEW blog series: 21 Quick Clutter Fixes. Keep your eye on Day to Day Feng Shui for 21 ways to lighten your load by cutting out clutter bit-by-bit throughout your home. Plus, solutions that keep the environment top-of-mind, so you keep your waste-impact down.

Less clutter = Healthy Home

Less waste = Healthy World 

In the Kitchen
  
2. Get those bags under control! I’m not talking about the bags under your eyes from disorganization-distress. I’m talking about plastic and paper shopping bags. Let’s take them one at a time.

Plastic. They are bad for the environment! We all know that, right? Lest you need a reminder, click here.

Some solutions:
  • Elect not to take your things in them from the store.
  • If you have loads of them, take them to a recycling collection location, like a grocery or department store, to unload.
  • Reuse them (not the greatest solution, since they still go back into the environment, but they come in handy for some messier situations; poopy diaper, anyone?).
  • If you keep some for re-use, take one bag, open it, and put all the others “scrunched up” inside. Or get one of these.
Paper. Biodegradable, but still kill trees.

Some solutions:
  • Recycle a bunch if they’re taking over you cupboard or pantry.
  • Reuse them for taking things places or to collect recycling.
  • If you keep some for re-use, take one bag, open it, and put all the other (folded) bags inside it. You can store that “bag-with-the-bags” upright or on its side for easy access.
Better solution: Use reusable bags. They are everywhere now. Actually they can get a bit out of control too. My solution for taming them is the same as with plastic or paper: open one, put the others inside it (folded). If you have way too many, donate some. I, personally, keep my bags in the trunk. They are there when I shop, then put back after unpacking groceries. Sometimes I do forget them, but then I re-use the bags I bring home.
If you’re on-the-go on foot or by bus or train, consider the fun Chico Bag.  I got one for my sister and cousin last year for their birthdays. It scrunches up really small in it’s own little storage bag, and you can keep that in your purse or backpack. Some styles also available at REI.

No comments: