Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Boundary Waters Balance Part 2

By Jessica Hoelzel

In my last post, I wrote about how adhering to one of the basic principles of feng shui, “use nature as your model”, can help you find balance in your space and in your life…my reflections after traveling into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW). But I also alluded to the fact, at the end of the post, that our trip wasn’t all balanced bliss. Yes, feng shui practitioners are human too, and it’s not all perfect feng shui and organization in their worlds, all the time.

What happened was a good learning experience for me, as most episodes of being “off-balance” are. So here’s the story…

My mistake was to turn over all packing responsibilities to my husband. He has more experience than I, in going into the back country. Since we didn’t have to portage this trip (carry our canoe and gear) he went a little overboard. Not that I’m blaming him, but his thought process was that since we didn’t have to go very far into the BWCAW, didn’t have to carry our stuff, and since this was the little ones’ first trip in, that he’d pack all the stuff they needed (plus a lot more –just in case they needed it). His goal was to make it easy and comfortable for them.



When we got to our site and started to set up camp was when I first felt overwhelm creeping in. Then over the course of the short time we were there, I kept getting distracted and bugged by all the stuff. We probably only really needed about a third of what we brought. The stuff, getting in our way at the site – in our way of both movement around the site, to perform “camp tasks”, and in our way of viewing the beauty of nature – hindered my experience of balance.

Lessons learned: next time we will 1) do the packing together 2) be more minimalistic in packing and 3) give ourselves more time to plan, set things out, and decide what we REALLY need.

You live and you learn…and every experience is a valuable opportunity to grow, and make things better.

No comments: