Thursday, September 22, 2011

Embarrassed but Proud

By Jessica Hoelzel

I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve been procrastinating (avoiding, ignoring, refusing to acknowledge) my “To File” stack of papers for months now. It grew to approximately 2.5 inches thick, and at one point I did remove it from the file folder it was busting out of and moved it to a more expandable hanging file folder. Denial is an ugly thing, especially for a professional organizer.

When I decided “enough is enough, I must take action” yesterday, I spent the first few minutes of filing in astonishment. Some of the papers, I saw, dated back to April. Can it be true? Can I really have let it go like this?

YES. Factor in career changes, moving, new school, vacations, summer and there you have it. A backlog of papers that had to be dealt with. A big ol’ stack.

When I had all the papers filed, and emerged from my low point, I actually sat back and felt, well, proud. First of all, I had the files created already, so all I had to do was stick the papers in where they belonged. I’ve recently been blogging about simplifying your life, and setting up this system for my papers is one way I simplifed mine. Secondly, the filing had taken me less than an hour. In less than an hour’s time, I was feeling like parts of my life were back in order – finances, insurance, health care; my ducks are now in a row.

Now, the efficiency learning lesson here is that that backlog of papers was from about 6 months. If I had filed those papers monthly, like a good little organizer, it would have only taken me about 10 minutes a month. Instead of having to force myself to sit for one hour. If it’s uncomfortable for me, I know it’s torturous for you.

10 Minutes a Month. That’s all it takes. You can avoid having to sit that long. And avoid procrastination’s avoidance game, which really just keeps you from feeling good and living the life you want.

No comments: