Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Create a “To File” Area for Papers

By Jessica Hoelzel

In my last post I was talking about how I got down to business and filed all my papers that were building up in my “to-file” folder. Do you have a “to-file” area? If not, establishing one could alleviate lots of paper that’s just lying around.

The first thing to do, to get control of paper clutter, though, is to alleviate the excess. For many people, half of the paper that arrives via US Mail is paper that can go directly in the recycling – ads, coupons, offers, catalogs. This type of paper should get chucked right in the bin. Don’t even think about letting it clutter up your countertops. If you glance at it then set it aside because you think “I may look at that later if I’m interested.” don’t. Only keep it if you are 100% sure you’re going to use it as a resource or take action on it.

And then, another ¼ is made up of paper that just needs to go right in your files – statements, correspondence, how much (or little) you currently have in your 401K, etc. Put a file tray, a box or decorative bowl near where you open your mail. All the things “to file” can go there.

It’s ok to let this type of paper stack up for a while, then file it later. Then, if you need to refer to a statement or record, you go two places: “to-file” area or the “file” area. It’s much easier to find something in one of those two places than mixed up with other random papers “around here somewhere…”

An easy suggestion to get control of the paper “situation” most people get overwhelmed with. Do you have a paper “situation” of your own? Let me know in the comments section of this blog. I’ll help you find an easy solution.

No comments: