Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Update: Putting My Life Back Together After Moving

By Jessica Hoelzel

I gave myself until Sunday for completion of this list, and I got most of it done, plus more. Put an organizing and feng shui consultant/perfectionist in a space and what do you get? Obsession with getting things in their places!

There is still much to do, but I feel more settled as each thing gets done, and the rooms come together. Every little bit helps me feel like I’m able to focus better while I'm working, and not have my energy scattered around. When things are settled, I can be settled, because I know, according to feng shui, my space is a reflection of me and vice/versa.

My office space is set up, and I’m pretty pleased with it. At our previous place, I had a huge closet to keep all office necessities. Not so here. Before I found my solution I had stuff, stuff, stuff that was partly out in the open, and partly in makeshift storage in a plastic dresser.

That was not going to work for me. I needed to pull it together and keep it enclosed – partly to minimize the visual distraction of having lots of things set around – and partly because my office space is in an open loft shared with a playroom.

My talented woodworker brother-in-law offered me the solution of the armoire, which was previously designed and used for a TV and electronics. I repurposed it; it’s got room for all the office things I need and good accessibility. Plus, it helps to define the boundaries of the shared space. I absolutely love it!



No comments: